March 26, 2010

Stockpiling - Pork

It's time to feed my freezer again.  I was running low on pork and this week my local Safeway has bulk pork shoulder on sale for $.99/lb. This is an unadvertised special that the butcher told me about. Pork shoulder makes the BEST carnitas and at this price, it was a steal at $15 bucks for 15 lbs.

I started by finding the largest pan I had which is actually a 15x15 square cake pan with 3 inch sides. Perfect to hold all of this meat.  The easiest recipe I have is very simple.   I generously rubbed the pork shoulder with fajita seasoning mix and placed in the oven at 325 degrees and let it slow roast all day long - about 6 hours.
That's it.  So easy and my house smelled so good all day long.

And the result was delicious.


I now have enough cooked and shredded pork in my freezer for at least six more meals. Try it sometime.  I promise you won't be disappointed.