March 20, 2012

TWD/BWJ: Irish Soda Bread

Today's TWD: Baking with Julia adventure is a basic, traditional loaf of Irish Soda Bread - coincidentally, a nod to my Irish mother.

As usual I improvised a little.  I didn't have buttermilk on hand so I used whole milk and lemon juice instead and let it curdle on the counter for about 20 minutes.  It was nice and thick so I think it worked nicely...we'll see tomorrow how it affected the taste.  Also, I got a little distracted talking with my son and my 1/2" cut on the top of the loaf was closer to 1" deep.  A bit too much I think.  Otherwise, I think all went well.

The loaf is straight out of the oven and is cooling on my counter - and it smells delicious.   Breakfast tomorrow will be Iris Soda Bread toast and jam (if I can wait that long).

For the recipe, visit our co-hosts Cathy of My Culinary Mission and  Carla of Chocolate Moosey