August 13, 2009

Makeovers - Entryway and Dining Room

It's been 2-1/2 years since I married Mr. CHiPy and moved to Sacramento and I'm finally ready to fix up the house. The challenge is blending two different styles together (furniture, pictures, paintings, etc) and making it look like it all goes together.

As I mentioned yesterday, I've been playing with my fabric stash in an effort to decorate rooms in my home without spending any money. It was a challenge, but look what I was able to do for ZERO dollars. I used only what I had on hand as mentioned here. And I've had this stuff for at least a couple of years.

So this is where I started.

Entryway Before: Blah!


ENTRYWAY AFTER: Fabulous!

1. Relocated the wrought iron stand on the right from another room and accessorized it with items from around the house.
2. Used 2 small curtain rods from my stash and covered the sidelight windows using 2 panels from my fabric stash (from my previous house that I lived in 3 years ago).
3. Found the small jeweled wreath in my closet and added it to the front door for some nice bling.
4. I'm still looking for the right shade to paint the walls so that will be my next project.

Here's a close up on the sidelight panel. I used two medium sized potpourri bags (green velvet with beaded fruit and silk leaves on top) that I've had for years to secure the poufs. I like the way it turned out.


And now on to the dining room.

DINING ROOM WINDOW BEFORE: Plain and simple. Blah.

IN BETWEEN: Hmmmm...needing something more here to separate family room and dining room...

1. Cut up a full length drapery panel into thirds and sewed them together to create a valance.
2. Used my hot glue gun to secure two more of the same panels used at the entryway sidelights to the valance.

DINING ROOM WINDOW AFTER: I'm lovin' it!

Aah. Much better. It's finally coming together.