December 21, 2009

Christmas Sweets for the Neighbors

Today I did a lot of baking.  It's like that for me when I have a lot on my mind.  For some reason, being in my kitchen baking and cooking helps me to sort out problems and make sense of the world around me.

Since I was being so productive, I figured I'd make some sweets for our new neighbors.  Mr. CHiPy and I live in a neighborhood that was hit hard by foreclosures earlier this year, but now we have four new neighbors on our street.

This year our neighbors are getting  little takeout boxes  filled with buckeyes, molasses cookies, oreo truffles and mini loaves of pumpkin bread.


The kids sampled plenty of the goodies and declared them good enough for our new neighbors.

So tonight, in the cold night air, Mr. CHiPy and I went out and met our new neighbors.  Of the four families, two have brand new babies, both adorable little boys, another family is Russian with a sweet little girl and the other family is Vietnamese with a little boy and a little girl. Our neighborhood is filled with life again and all of the families are wonderful additions to our neighborhood.

The lesson I learned tonight is that life does happen, and when it does, sweet things can come from it.