October 12, 2010

Canned Salsa

My garden has had a bounty of three items this year - Roma tomatoes, green peppers and zucchini. The zucchini plant gave up the ghost last month after a bumper crop all summer along with over 70 cups of shredded zucchini that is put away in my freezer. The tomatoes and peppers are still going strong and I've already got a freezer full put away for winter.

With this weekend's bounty I decided to try a canned salsa recipe and I think it was successful.  The house smelled delicious all afternoon long while it was simmering.
Canned Salsa
16 C tomatoes, chopped
5 green peppers, chopped
5 onions, chopped
4 anaheim peppers, chopped fine
4 cloves garlic
1 1/2 C brown sugar
3 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp pepper
2 C apple cider vinegar
Put all ingredients into pot.  Boil down for 3-4 hours.  Put into pint jars.  Process for 15 minutes.  Makes 8-10 pints.


Chips and salsa anyone?