March 7, 2011

Apple Enchiladas for Dessert

In the 21 years that I've been baking for my family, this is the first time that I've made Apple Enchiladas. Oh my goodness! These are fantastic and my family devoured them.

Note:  I doubled this recipe and used 5 lbs. of gala apples from my local Farmer's Market instead of the canned apple pie filling.  After peeling, coring and slicing the apples, I added 1 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to flavor them.  Other than these changes, I followed the recipe as written.

I doubled this recipe and baked it in a 9x13 pan
Apple Enchiladas

1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup margarine
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup water, mixed with 1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

    Directions

    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F 
    2. Spoon fruit evenly onto all tortillas, sprinkle with cinnamon. Roll up tortillas and place seam side down on lightly greased 8x8 baking pan.
    3. Bring margarine, sugars and water mixed with cornstarch to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly for 3 minutes.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.
    4. Pour sauce evenly over tortillas; sprinkle with extra cinnamon on top if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.  Tops of tortillas should be crispy.
    5. Makes 6 large tortillas; may be cut in half to serve 12.