I made these bars last night while the men were watching the 49ers game. There was a lot of testosterone in my house so I balanced it with a dose of estrogen. I do that by baking.
Bliss is right.
Try these. You will L♥VE them!
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks, very soft)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 3 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 2 tablespoons butter , softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/3 cup craisins , chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (325 for a glass or dark pan). Prepare a 10x15 by lining it with parchment paper or use a non-stick spray.
- BARS: With an electric mixer, beat together softened butter and sugars 3-5 minutes until light; gently blend in eggs and orange extract (don't overbeat eggs). Add the flour, baking powder, and ginger and beat briefly. Add the cranberries and chips, stirring just until incorporated.
- Spread thick batter in prepared 10x15 pan. Bake 350 for 20-24 minutes until light brown AT EDGES and a skewer tests clean. Don't overbake or your bars will be dry. Let it cool completely. NOTE: If you use a 9x13 pan, the bars will be thicker and will take 26-28 minutes.
- FROSTING: Blend cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add orange extract and confectioners sugar and beat until frosting is fluffy and spreadable (adding 1 t. milk if needed). Spread evenly over COOLED bars.
- GARNISH: Use a zester to remove rind from an orange; sprinkle zest over frosted bars. Chop 1/3 cup Craisins coarsely; sprinkle over frosted bars.
- DRIZZLE: Mix white chocolate and oil in a glass measuring cup. Microwave 1 minute; stirring every 15 seconds until melted. Use a fork or whisk to drizzle the white chocolate diagonally across the bars.
- Allow one hour for the white chocolate to set before cutting. **To make signature Starbuck triangles, cut into 20 large squares (5 cuts by 4 cuts with the knife). Then cut each square in half diagonally to create triangles.