July 27, 2012

Frosted Chocolate Zucchini Brownies


Post, Post Edit:  Sorry everyone...I corrected the frosting recipe.  Just mix all ingredients together and spread over cooled brownies.   No cooking necessary.

Post Edit:  I've had several people ask about the "no eggs" in the recipe.   It's true.  No eggs.  I failed to note that  when I made the recipe, I used my garden zucchini that I had shredded and frozen a couple of days before and had slightly thawed that morning, in my brownies. The little bit of extra moisture may have added to the "moistness" of my brownies.

Can you tell that I'm ready for a vacation??


I'm using up my garden zucchini this week. Today I'm making zucchini brownies...frosted chocolate zucchini brownies.

Super good.  So good in fact the teenagers visiting my home couldn't stay out of them.  Good thing I made a double batch.

Frosted Zucchini Brownies


½ cup vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
1 ½ cups white sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups zucchini (shredded)
½ cup chopped walnuts (I left out)

Chocolate Frosting-
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ cup margarine (I used butter)
2 cups confectioners sugar
½ cup milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking dish. (I lined with parchment)

In a large bowl mix together oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract until well blended. In another bowl combine the flour, ½ cup cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. A little at a time stir into the sugar mixture. Fold in zucchini and walnuts. The batter will be dry and crumbly, don't worry. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish.
Place into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the brownies spring back when gently touched. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool.

To make the frosting-  In a medium bowl blend all ingredients listed.  Spread over cooled brownies and cut into squares.
.