September 30, 2010

Making An Ice Cream Birthday Cake

When my kids were little they would request an ice cream cake for their birthday or other special occasion. Back then I was working and just didn't have time to make one homemade.  So, I would splurge on a Carvel or Baskin Robbins' ice cream cake.  They were good but EXPENSIVE!

Since that time, I now make my kids their own ice cream cakes. They are so simple!

My youngest, Allie, requested a yellow cake with cookie dough ice cream and iced with vanilla ice cream.  That's it.  Pretty basic but it's her favorite. 


Start with a one layer cake - I used a heart shape pan.  Sweet, huh?


I had two heart shaped pans so with the other pan I lined it with plastic wrap and filled it with the semi soft cookie dough ice cream.  I used Dreyer's brand and the entire container filled the pan.  Cover the top of the ice cream with the plastic wrap and freeze until firm about 2 - 3 hours.

When the ice cream is firm and the cake is cool, remove the ice cream from the lined pan, remove plastic wrap and layer ice cream on top of cake.


Using another flavor of ice cream (I used vanilla) soften it and then whip it together with a spoon until it resembles icing consistency like this...
Quickly frost the ice cream cake and place it in the freezer to harden like this...
Remove from freezer right before serving.  Add chocolate sauce, candles and celebrate!