November 18, 2009

The BEST Applesauce

When I purchased the 12 lbs of apples at Target (for $.39/lb!!) I knew that my house would be smelling delicious because I was going to make the BEST applesauce...it's quick and easy and yummy! Recipe is at the end of this post.

Start by peeling, coring and slicing your apples. I use my handy dandy apple peeler-corer-slicer that I got at Goodwill for $5. This thing is awesome! You'll want 8 cups. I tripled my recipe and used 24 cups. For the sake of this recipe I will give you instructions to make one batch.

One of the reasons I love this doowicky so much is that it has a little suction cup on the bottom and by lowing the handle it secures itself to the counter and doesn't jiggle around while I'm peeling-coring-slicing the apples.

Have a big bowl of water ready to put your apples into so they don't turn brown. I use Ball Fruit Fresh in my water and it works really good. Just follow directions on the back of the bottle...

Just throw in your apples...

Then, when you're done with all of the apples (I used tart granny smith and a few red delicious), go ahead and remove the apples from the water and place them into your pot. Then add 1/2 cup of brown sugar (or more if you like) and 2 tsp. vanilla...

and 1 tsp. cinnamon...

Cook for 2 hours on med lo and mash with a potato masher if you want it chunky or put it through your food processor if you want it smooth. I like it chunky myself.

And that's it. Refrigerate until you are ready to eat it up or you can place into canning jars and process that way.

The BEST Applesauce
8 cups granny smith apples
1/2 cup brown sugar (or adjust to your taste)
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon

Peel, core and slice the apples. Place in a bowl of water with some lemon juice or Fruit Fresh to keep them from turning brown. When you have all the apples ready, place in pot and add brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Cook for 2 hours over med lo heat. Blend to the consistency you desire. Refrigerate until ready to eat.